The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mat Marr Team Application

2 posters

Go down

Mat Marr Team Application Empty Mat Marr Team Application

Post by mmarr Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:13 pm

-Your Name and age
Mat Marr, Age 28

-How you found out about Team Unknown Stars
From Alex, Jed, Gavin etc.

-Your Magic accomplishments
Designed and Developed First Doran Extended Deck. Won PTQ at Worlds 07 with the deck.
Won PTQ in Logrono Spain Dec 06 with Spanish language Time Spiral cards Sealed and Draft. As I know no Spanish this shows the amount of testing I am sometimes willing to do for limited formats. (only asked for translation once during the event- and I am still not sure what the third mode on Ebony Charm is Wink.)
31st at GP Vancouver (extended)
31st at 2008 US Nationals
Top 100 at Pro Tour Hollywood. I played an innovative BG control/ramp deck of my own design to a 10-6 finish.
A lot of PTQ top 8s
Two regionals top 8s (scooped someone to Nationals both times)
I am highly rated on Magic-League in constructed (Username Gluedman)

-The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them (Major tournaments are considered to be large events such as PTQ's, Regionals, Champs, Nationals, the Pro Tour, and other events on those levels or higher.)

Grand Prix LA 4th, 13-3-1 Extended
GP Kansas City 0-X, 1000th place Sealed
GP Denver Block top 64 9-6 Block
US Nationals 31st , 5-2 Constructed 4-3 Draft

-A link to your DCI Rating page
DCI Total rating 2100, 47th in the world and 13th in the US. (as of 2-28-9) http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?action=search_member&personid=1598411&brandid=1

-Why you play competitive Magic
I enjoy being around people that think at a high level. Games are a pure way to bring out the best in you. I really like traveling and playing Magic forces me to spend my limited income on travel.

-What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team
I have reached a point in my magic career where I can be a very productive member of a team. . My local player scene no longer supports testing at a high level.
I enjoyed working with members of this team before LA. That collaboration was mutually beneficial and I think that as a more formal member of the team we could continue to work together productively.

-What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants
I like to try new decks. I work through problems well in a group setting. I have professional training in facilitation and collaborative process.

-What your strengths as a Magic player are
I have a strong intuitive sense of the flow of Magic games.
I never give up.
I like working hard to win.
I try to learn from every game I play or watch.
I know that I can get better and am always working to play better.

-What your weakness as a Magic player are
My physically remote location makes attendance at PTQs a major trip. (5 hours to Portland, 6 to San Jose)
There was once a solid group of semi-pro level players in Southern Oregon but we suffered for lack of a good venue. Now we have two stores, but the best players have drifted away. My local players are still morally supportive, but will not travel with me and are inconsistent in testing.
I am chair of the Ashland School Board. This is an elected full time volunteer position. Thus much of my time is used with community service.
I sometimes over think plays and play around more obscure scenarios than the common ones.
I am still recovering from a back and neck injury from auto accident of April 08. Unfortunately sitting aggravates my condition. I have missed several events because my body was not in a condition to travel.

-What the main formats that you play and focus on are
I play the format of the next Grand Prix, qualifier or Pro Tour that I will be attending. I try to be one format forward also testing for the next event when possible. Currently Legacy, Extended Standard, Block and three set draft are the order of testing priority for me.

-Which format you think you're most proficient in
It used to be limited. I have a lifetime limited match win ratio of 73.3 percent (646 matches). However I do not have a good feel for Alara block limited and feel that this is an area I need to refocus on.
Extended is the format I have had the most success with in the past.

What else should you know about me:
Certified as level 1 judge at SF Worlds 2004. Still keep up on current rules and judging issues.
Breakout HS debate star. Numerous state titles and Nationals and TOC appearances. As a team captain I learned the ins and outs of team work, cheap travel, tournament organization etc.

Peak limited rating 2011 at PT: Geneva in 2007
Peak Constructed rating 2101 at GP: Denver 2008
1791 MODO limited rating
Active in MODO beta tests of new sets. I have a lot of background in professional Betatesting of games and other products for companies such as Wizkids. I have been accepted to every MODO Beta I applied for.
I have become more involved in testing on Magic-league lately. It has a better interface than MODO and as I am remote from other players online testing is key. I use MODO for limited testing but prefer M-L for constructed.
I have been very successful in my extended testing lately. In the week before LAs I won a trial with mono U fae (beating PV in the finals). And the next day I won a M-L Master with the fusion fae list that I later played in LA.

mmarr
Applicant

Number of posts : 74
Name : Mat Marr
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Mat Marr Team Application Empty Re: Mat Marr Team Application

Post by GavinV Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:39 am

After careful consideration, you have been accepted to the team. Thank you for your application and interest, and see you on the team forums.

Sincerely,

Gavin Verhey

GavinV
Site Admin and Team Founder

Number of posts : 482
Name : Gavin Verhey
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down