The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Applications

Go down

Team Applications Empty Team Applications

Post by JakeAlmighty Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:22 pm

-Your Name and age

Jacob Krawczuk, 20

-How you found out about Team Unknown Stars

I've been searching for a team to join as my geographical area has only a few strong players and Team Unknown Stars came up as one that I wanted to be a part of if I could.

-Your Magic accomplishments

I have done reasonably well at the events I have traveled to so far. Myself and my testing partner have put ourselves at the very top of our local community. (approximately 30 consistent tournament players playing two tournaments a week) I did not attend Canadian Nationals in 2010 despite being qualified (by National Qualifier) however I am qualified for Nationals 2011 on rating and plan on attending. I realize that my results to date are less numerous and impressive compared to most other successful candidates for the team but I am looking to use my future experiences on Team Unknown Stars to build a more impressive resume in the future. Specifically I am looking for preparation for Nationals 2011 this year without having to rely completely on lackluster local testing and brainstorming.

-The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them (Major tournaments are considered to be large events such as PTQ's, Regionals, Champs, Nationals, the Pro Tour, and other events on those levels or higher.)

2010 is the first year I have traveled for any Magic related events as I live in Thunder Bay in northern Ontario and have thus played in only two major tournaments.

15th (6-2) at Ontario National Qualifiers (out of I think 224) which qualified me for Canadian Nationals 2010 but I did not attend as nobody else from my area was qualified making travel difficult.

37th (6-3 losing to Julian Booher to miss the money) at SCG Standard Open Minneapolis. (out of 250+ or so I believe) (My testing partner was 27th with the same record to min-cash due to tie-breaks)

-A link to your DCI Rating page

Current Total Rating: 1931

https://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?action=search_member&personid=2059551&brandid=1

-Why you play competitive Magic

I play competitive Magic because I enjoy it and because I have dreams of playing on the Pro Tour someday. It is something that has made me many close friends over the years and wherever I end up I know it is something that I will always do. I also enjoy winning. --> xD

-What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team

I want to join Team Unknown Stars because I feel that it is something that can help me to achieve my goal for this year - earning a spot on the 2011 Canadian National Team and playing at Worlds. I need a way to be competitively prepared for each major tournament I attend because each is a significant investment to travel to due to my location. I was under prepared in the Mythic vs Naya match-up in Minneapolis and it ended up costing me a spot in the money. (Which is a significantly higher payout than the 0$ I got for 37th.) I feel that contributing to and benefiting from Team Unknown Stars is something that will help me be ready for this year.

-What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants

I think that I am probably a much stronger technical player than the average applicant. (not all of course; I saw some exceptional candidates in the already reviewed forum) I play in a very methodical manner and am able to recognize alternate lines of play that may give me a better shot at winning a match. I am generally able to learn and adapt from my mistakes which has led to me being at the top of my local scene. I need the community of stronger players than me that Team Unknown Stars provides to help me improve further. My mistakes are harder and harder to recognize these days - not because they aren't there but because they are more subtle and weaker players are unable to capitalize on them and beat me. Practically speaking, I feel that I am able to be a relevant play-tester and participate in theoretical level discussions on cards, decks and match-ups successfully.

-What your strengths as a Magic player are

I am a technically strong player who quickly and efficiently analyzes changing board states. (I was a highly ranked chess player before playing Magic which I believe has contributed greatly to my analysis skills when playing MTG.)

-What your weakness as a Magic player are

I lose because I sometimes miss something - when I choose a line of play I will either win because it was the correct one or I will get blindsided by something I did not even consider and should have given more thought to.

I am also convinced that I am making very subtle sub-par long term decisions while playing that I am currently unable to recognize and need a stronger player/community to point out to me. Most recently this has become evident to me with the card Preordain. My default choice at tournaments for the last month has been U/B and U/W Control variants and both decks present many possible correct times for casting the innocuous 1 mana cantrip. I am having difficulty determining when the ideal time to cast it is (other than looking for land and casting it immediately during the early turns of the game) and I believe that it is costing me games.

-What the main formats that you play and focus on are

Standard. (Possibly Extended as well this season - I have the cards and the format seems to be shaping up to be very interesting.)

-Which format you think you're most proficient in

Standard

- Additional information

I understand that I have played in less major events than most successful applicants to Team Unknown Stars. I feel that if I am given the opportunity to be on the team I will be able to hold my own with the more experienced members and will hopefully someday become one of the more experienced members. I would love to be wearing a Team Unknown Stars shirt while tearing through Canadian Nationals this year Wink (Speaking of which if there is no team shirt... custom dress shirts are the way to go. Do it.)

Looking forward to your reply Gavin one way or another.

Thanks for reading,

Jacob Krawczuk

JakeAlmighty
Applicant

Number of posts : 1
Name : Jacob Krawczuk
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Back to top Go down