The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick

2 posters

Go down

Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick Empty Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick

Post by MichaelHetrick Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 pm

-Your Name and age

Michael Hetrick, 18

-How you found out about Team Unknown Stars

I was once a member on the forums (originally) referred by Trent Turnbull, but when the forums were moved for I think the third time I didn't rejoin.

-Your Magic accomplishments

I have been playing magic for a while and still haven't won a ptq which is currently my goal. My lesser accomplishments include:
Several PTQ Top 8s, most recently PTQ Honolulu (4th)
Top 16 at the Superstars 5K (3/14)
Many JSS wins and seconds and top 8s (earning 2500 in scholarships)

-The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them (Major tournaments are considered to be large events such as PTQ's, Regionals, Champs, Nationals, the Pro Tour, and other events on those levels or higher.)

• Regionals - 12th (scooped my friend in in the last round) :/
  • GPT Seattle - Top8 (Lost to a mediocre Reveillark player that I should have beat)
  • SuperStars 5K - Top16 (Lost to a respectable player)

-A link to your DCI Rating page

http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?dcinumber=45923393&Demographic=1|1&BrandRatedSeasons=55&ratingseasonid=55&Page=1&action=Search_Member

-Why you play competitive Magic

Ultimately I play competitive Magic for the money. I definitely have a good time along the way, but doing good in a big event is a great feeling from both the prize and the acknowledgment of success. I also play poker occasionally.

-What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team
-What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants

Being a part of this team will inevitably good for me and good for others. The reason I originally didn't stay on the team was because at the time I wasn't providing anything and was also too busy to take Magic seriously. But now I can bring a lot to this team. I playtest frequently with good players and am constantly providing new tech for my group and myself. Some recent examples include:

• Hallowed Burial at the GPT (5/9)
  • Story Circle in 5C @ regs (proven itself on a mulligan to 4)
  • Jace over Mulldrifter (5K 3/14).

These examples aren't too radical but they were successful ideas nonetheless.

-What your strengths as a Magic player are

Making good decisions on what deck to play. I realized after GP LA that the deck choice is the first factor in whether or not you will do good at an event. It may seem obvious, but it's more complicated than that. I wasn't prepared for the GP at all, so the night before I was scrounging around testing every deck I could to decide what to play. My problem? I had already dismissed the best deck because I thought I would be playing mirror matches all day. The deck in question was Faeries/Wizards. I played Zoo and now will never make that mistake again. This conclusion also allowed me to top8 the next PTQ I played in with Faeries. It's really that you have to be prepared AND know what deck to play.
I'd also say I am a pretty skilled player, or at least there are very few better than me in my area. I'm also proicient in math and am the go to guy to detemine draws in the last round.

-What your weakness as a Magic player are

I'd have to say that I have a hard time playing aggro. I think I've just been playing control for so long that I can't play aggro anymore. This of course can be remedied by playing the shit out of an aggro deck before I commit to using it in an event.

-What the main formats that you play and focus on are
-Which format you think you're most proficient in

Whatever format is in season. I picked up in the extended season when I had the time and I now focusing on standard. I the coming weeks I have a PTQ, GP Seattle, and then a 5K so I am testing a lot. Currently I am most proficient in standard, not paying much attention to limited as it tends to be less important.

Last edited by MichaelHetrick on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 4 times in total

MichaelHetrick
Applicant

Number of posts : 2
Name : Michael Hetrick
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick Empty Re: Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick

Post by MichaelHetrick Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:11 pm

It's been quite a while. Would appreciate a response.

MichaelHetrick
Applicant

Number of posts : 2
Name : Michael Hetrick
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick Empty Re: Team (Re)Application - Michael Hetrick

Post by Azrael Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 am

MichaelHetrick wrote:It's been quite a while. Would appreciate a response.

Yeah...they've got applications all the way back to March they haven't dealt with yet.

I feel like a valued team member already. Wink

Azrael
Applicant

Number of posts : 7
Name : Greg McCleery
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Spoke to Gavin. Apparently they're doing some reorganization before they're adding anyone else.

Azrael
Applicant

Number of posts : 7
Name : Greg McCleery
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down