The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application - Paolo del Valle

Go down

Application - Paolo del Valle Empty Application - Paolo del Valle

Post by xpolosp0rtx Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 am

Yo.

-Your Name and age

My name is Paolo del Valle, and I'm currently 22.

-How you found out about Team Unknown Stars

Gavin is on Team Revolution as well. I read his articles, see his sig, etc.

-Your Magic accomplishments

Not much. I top 8'd a PTQ last Standard season in Edison, losing to Osyp in quarterfinals. I Q'd for Nats this year on a Standard grinder, but did poorly in the draft portion. I top 4'd the cruise qualifier that same weekend.

-The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them (Major tournaments are considered to be large events such as PTQ's, Regionals, Champs, Nationals, the Pro Tour, and other events on those levels or higher.)

In reverse chronological order...
At GP Boston I did awfully. 2 byes followed by three consecutive losses and a drop.
I went 5-1-1 in the Cruise qualifier at Nats this year, then lost in the top 4. Not sure if this counts as a major tournament.
At Nats I did poorly - I went 3-1 in the Standard Portion, then 1-4 in Draft before dropping since x-5 couldn't make prize.
In case the Qualifier didn't count as large, I made 8th place at a PTQ in Edison last standard season.

-A link to your DCI Rating page

https://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?action=search_member&personid=2140290&brandid=1

-Why you play competitive Magic

I enjoy being rewarded for tight play and good deck choices. I enjoy travelling, meeting people, and learning more about the game that I love, and I always want to improve. Mostly, it is just a lot of fun for me and a great learning experience.

-What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team

I'm currently on Team Revolution, but I'd like to be on another team, since I want to learn as much as I can and get better input from multiple sources. In addition, I respect Gavin as a writer a lot and I figure that the team that he co-founded is probably pretty good. I read your rules re: sharing tech and if it's an issue I won't spread tech from here over to revolution forums. I hope it's not a problem that I'm on Team Rev - I thought it would be okay as Gavin is part of both teams. That and I feel sometimes the forums over at Team Revolution tend to get stagnant sometimes, so I'd like some more sources of stimulating discussion.

-What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants

I am pretty good at stimulating discussion about card choices, and I enjoy testing and critique of other people's decks. I am always asking questions and offering up suggestions for deck choice, metagame calls, limited picks, etc. as I just love to talk and theorize about the game.

-What your strengths as a Magic player are

I feel that I am a decent to good player with a lot of passion for the game and willingness to try new strategies. To be totally honest, much of my ability lies in my play but I am always trying to brew up decklists or think of creative ideas in a given format.

-What your weakness as a Magic player are

Admittedly, I need work on improving my Limited game, as I have been in a slump as of late. My limited rating has never peaked past 1900, which I want to work on. In addition, while I am great at offering alternative card choices for decks and suggesting possible changes, I'm not so great at forming a baseline deck to work around, and especially bad at mana bases. These are two aspects of my game that I really want to work on and I feel like discussion with you guys will help.

-What the main formats that you play and focus on are

Right now, I am focusing on Zendikar Limited (PTQs) and Standard as the Philly 5k is coming up this weekend. That and I play FNM every week so obviously standard is relevant for me. I doubt I can go to Austin so I haven't looked much at Extended but when that becomes a PTQ format I plan on focusing on that some more.

-Which format you think you're most proficient in

Constructed, definitely. More specifically Standard, as 99% of the time it is the most relevant format for me unless a large event in my area is coming up that isn't Standard. I haven't played Extended in a while but I'm sure once I get my feet wet I can get back into the swing of things like I used to before Onslaught rotated out.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your replies.

xpolosp0rtx
Applicant

Number of posts : 1
Name : Paolo
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Back to top Go down