The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application

Go down

Application Empty Application

Post by swooshr08 Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am

-Your Name and age
Troy Brestel, 26 (I'm so old.)

-How you found out about Team Unknown Stars
Used to be a member of the team. Went on "hiatus" when the new forums got put up. Returned to the game in September, 2009.

-Your Magic accomplishments
Oh, where to begin? 11 PTQ Top 8s, 25th at GP: Charlotte in 2005, q'ed for Nationals 3 times, q'ed for Worlds in 2006 on rating, but did not attend (on hiatus).

-The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them (Major tournaments are considered to be large events such as PTQ's, Regionals, Champs, Nationals, the Pro Tour, and other events on those levels or higher.)

1. Zendikar Limited - PTQ Rockville - Fall 2009 - Record: 6-2, lose for T8 (to a guy with 3 Nighthawks.....)
2. Zendikar Limited - PTQ Philly - Fall 2009 - Record: 0-1, drop in RD 1 (I couldn't play red or black and had UG)
3. Star City Games - Philadelphia $5k - Fall 2009 - Record: 4-2, drop in RD 6
4. Star City Games - Richmond Open - Winter 2010 - Record: 7-3

-A link to your DCI Rating page
http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?dcinumber=60712623&Demographic=1%7C1&BrandRatedSeasons=55&ratingseasonid=55&Page=1&action=Search_Member

-Why you play competitive Magic
Because I need to. In high school, I was the 3rd ranked defensive tackle recruit in the Eastern U.S., and had scholarship offers from Michigan, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Marshall. In the 3rd game of my senior season, I cracked 3 vertabre in my back, and that was that. So, naturally, I am a competitive person at my core. I was introduced to Magic by chance, and it helped fuel that fire and fill the void.

-What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team
To network and to have serious discussions about ideas. A lot of you guys have had some pretty good success since I was last on (like Kyle and his recent T2 at the PT), and hopefully, these forums have helped to foster that. I'm not here to be one of those guys who goes "OMG - Kiki-Jiki and Pestermite owns!!!!!!!!!11111eleven!" Nah, not me. I'm interested in winning larger events. Not placing, winning. That's the skill I believe I had before hiatus, and that has returned after a good 6 months of getting back in. Bouncing ideas off other skilled players can only help to that end.

-What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants
Desire, skill, knowledge of formats - particularily in limited and constructed. I am the best Zendikar drafter in the world, you know. In any case, I have the ability to try new things, quickly determine if they are good or not, and foster that idea or move on to another. I also can thoughtfully analyze other's opinions and ideas and provide constructive criticism, whether it be good or bad.

-What your strengths as a Magic player are
Tight play - only exception in my career is in Nationals '05 when I had LSV dominated in RD 7 and a lack of sleep caught up with me and Plaxcaster Frogling woke me up. Also, I believe in the ZVI-cannon of "There's always a better play." I consistently look for the better play every turn, and even if I lose, I always give myself the best possible chance to win. I don't punt games, as many players nowadays do.

-What your weakness as a Magic player are
No major weaknesses. If I had to nitpick, I'd probably say not using the mulligan enough. Sometimes, you have the "mountain, swamp, and 5 cards with the nighthawk and hideous end" hand. I have a tendency to hope that it gets there, and 80 / 20 of the time, I'm right, but there is still that 20.

-What the main formats that you play and focus on are
Standard and Limited - I'm just getting back into the game, and I'm still working on getting cards for Extended and Legacy, hence the reason I have not played in the Extended PTQ season this year.

-Which format you think you're most proficient in
All equally. Any skilled Magic player with a serious attitude toward the game will duefully prepare for whatever tournament they attend. The mechanics of the game don't change - the only thing that changes are the cards and knowledge of the metagame / limited environment.

Thanks for you consideration!

swooshr08
Applicant

Number of posts : 22
Name : Troy Brestel
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down