The Official Forums of Team Unknown Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Application

Go down

Team Application Empty Team Application

Post by tophat Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Your Name and age
My name is Richard Coates, and I'm 18 years old.

How you found out about Team Unknown Stars
Gavin's Sig on MTGS, and from MTGCast and Top8Magic Podcasts.

Your Magic accomplishments
Qualified for my Nationals twice, Top 8'd a PTQ or two.

The last three major tournaments you attended and your record at each of them.
5-1 at a Limited Nationals LCQ to qualify, winning the tournament overall.
4-4 at Nationals itself, from 0-2 after 2 rounds
6-3 at GP Brighton, losing the last round to not make Day 2

A link to your DCI Rating page
http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx?dcinumber=88850840&Demographic=1%7C1&BrandRatedSeasons=&ratingseasonid=&Page=1&action=Search_Member

Why you play competitive Magic
Primarily because it's fun, but also because I'm a competitive person. I love winning, but I especially like winning on my own terms.

What your main reasons are for wanting to join the team
I really want to improve my game, especially my deckbuilding ability, and there is a disappointing lack of players with ambition in my local area.

What you think you would bring to the team that makes you stand out above other applicants
I am a dedicated playtester, and I will happily sit and goldfish a deck until I know it inside and out. Also, I am willing to test out even the worst ideas in case there is some merit in them. For example, I had a major hand in designing the 5C Slivers deck that dominated the standard portion of GB Nationals in 2007, despite the fact that it was an awful deck in the first place.

What your strengths as a Magic player are
I think I'm particularly good at reading my opponent, and using that information to bluff, make good attacks, and so on.

What your weakness as a Magic player are
Among many things, I tend to get bogged down in complicated board positions, and so I'm too reluctant to attack when it is in my advantage. I also struggle at playing the control role in constructed, being too eager to land a threat, when the correct play is to sit back and counter something relevant.

What the main formats that you play and focus on are
Sealed, Booster Draft and Legacy. The legacy is mainly causally, but we play with Tier 1 decks with some of the top ranked Eternal players in my country, and so I think I have a pretty good handle on the format.

Which format you think you're most proficient in
Sealed formats, especially newer sealed formats. I think I can evaluate new cards better than other people, although I think I still have a long way to improve on this.

tophat
Applicant

Number of posts : 1
Name : Richard Coates
Registration date : 2009-08-15

Back to top Go down