team application: john madonia

Go down

team application: john madonia

Post by the john madonia on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 am

Name: John Madonia
I found out about Team Unknown Stars from various message boards and a Mtg.com article. The mannequin deck last year also was another reason as well.
My magic accomplishments consist of winning a ptq,top 16ing countless, I have a knack to play horrific matchups round 8. Currently being the top rated constructed player in New York State,(2079) qualified for Worlds in December and Berlin in October.

I play competitve magic to do something I feel im pretty good at. I am a deck builder at heart, I usually play something off the vest that though its not the best choice I feel I can play it well. Playing a deck that isn't 'tier 1' well, is much better then playing tier 1 deck poorly.

I want to join the team because I want to help others and well as myself improve their games. Long Island is a difficult area to find good testing as certain groups won't share or help out others, its a big high school drama. I have a lot of ideas about theory and deck construction. Im a much better designer then player.

I would bring to the team someone that knows constructed in and out. I've built decks for people in just the past two years, have won ptqs, top 16 nats (2 players) top 16 car tournaments, my extended list will have a solid following at Berlin. I evaluate cards well and look for help when needed, if I don't know if the card is the right choice, ill ask.

My strengths as a magic player: I play to win and work hard at it. No matter who your opponent is, he/she isn't their to lose. I play each opponent like its the top 2 of a pro tour. I also can read players very well, which is starting to translate into a middling poker career. Im usually the most prepared player in the room, if I feel im underprepared I won't play. I may face an obscure deck or two yes, but I want to make sure I know every card in my deck and why its there, I worry about what im playing with not them. I can't control my opponent.

I am bad at limited. I play a lot of constructed so I don't do much drafting. I evaluate cards in limited like I do constructed, which is completely wrong. I've improved but I know im no where close to where I need to be to make any sort of splash on the pro tour.

I focus on constructed formats, although with the pro tour shift, I need to get some limited game.

Overall, id like to be on a team that has good players and sound ideas. I don't want to be flamed for an idea I have, that's the point of testing and playing, is to think of things, good or bad and go with it.

Thanks for your time Gavin and whomever else makes the decision,

John Madonia
P.S my system won't allow me to link my dci rating here, im in New York on Page 1.

the john madonia
Applicant

Number of posts : 1
Name : john madonia
Registration date : 2008-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: team application: john madonia

Post by GavinV on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi John,

A few questions for you. First off, what are some of the major decks you've designed? You note that you've built decks for people that have won PTQ's, made top 16 of nats, etc. Which decks were they? Secondly, how did you obtain your rating? I see that you have some PTQ top 16's and a win, but it would take a lot of PTQ 16's to get to 2079. Thirdly, will you be attending Berlin/Worlds?

Thanks!

GavinV
Site Admin and Team Founder

Number of posts : 482
Name : Gavin Verhey
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinV on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:54 am

After careful consideration and discussion, you have not been chosen to be added to the team at this time. Team Unknown Stars is always looking for new members, so if you are still interested, you may reapply after 30 days have passed.

Thank you,

Gavin Verhey

GavinV
Site Admin and Team Founder

Number of posts : 482
Name : Gavin Verhey
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content